July 20, 2009

camp



Last week marked another great week at leadership camp. In fact, I would say this year's experience surpassed the awesomeness of last year's in a number of arenas.

First of all, as my second year as camp counselor, I knew what to anticipate in the way of activities, schedules, etc., which made the week more relaxing for me. Secondly, we had a really amazing group of kids this year. Not to say that last year's campers weren't great, but something about this year's group really impressed me. A lot of this could be attributed to the fact that my small group and my cabin mates were incredible (my small group took second place in the transmission building contest and first in the volleyball tourney!). Finally, this year I really noticed a lot of growth in many of the campers as the week progressed. I witnessed one camper who would hardly speak on the first night present a hilarious speech on the last night of camp, of which I will always refer to as the "blasty-blast" speech. It's always an amazing experience to see an individual come out of their shell in such an extraordinary way, especially in the time frame of just one week.

I am grateful that my job allows me to spend a week getting to know these amazing kids, as well as the other counselors. Looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment