February 19, 2009

Sniffles and gadgets

This week has been consumed with the fighting of yet another cold. I have given up on trying to figure out how it is I keep contracting these sicknesses and instead have just accepted that I am going to feel like crap for the majority of the winter. Today I'm feeling quite a bit better, but I'm hoping for even more improvement overnight so I can enjoy my day off tomorrow skiing Vail.

Even in the wake of my sniffles this week, I have had ample opportunity to test out my new best friend -- the Garmin Nuvi 265. I always scoffed at others who relied on GPS units to get them to their destinations, priding myself as a person who can identify due North in most situations, as well as someone who can read a map. However, as someone who attends a number of events in new places and who often travels there solo, I was growing tired of trying to read the directions while driving. Enter the Nuvi, which guides me via a map and through spoken directions. I love it! I'm excited to try out the POI (points of interest) feature when traveling to new places -- it lists everything from restaurants to parks.

Last night, the Nuvi directed me to a new volunteer opportunity that I am very excited about -- Volunteer for Outdoor Colorado. I'm looking forward to taking part in a number of projects with the group this summer and fall, as well as meeting and hanging out with some like-minded folks who are interested in sustainability and the outdoors. Click HERE for more on the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment