January 21, 2010

the enthusiasm hangover

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was day six of employing the positive outlook and attitude tactics I learned last weekend and I felt really great. Life was good. This morning, I woke up feeling absolutely dejected. Nothing significant occurred last night that would account for such a radical attitude change. Yet, here I am, nine hours later and I still can't shake the feeling.

Lesson -- As much as I would love to, I am never going to be one of those 20 percenters who is perpetually happy and optimistic. It's just never going to be me. I realized today that I have been stressing out the last six days about my attitude. And honestly?  If I'm constantly stressing about my attitude, isn't that a bit retroactive? I know, I know. I need to CYA (check your attitude), but after a significant amount of self psychoanalysis, I have come to the conclusion that I'm OK with not being positive each moment of every single day.

To say I am relinquishing my efforts for a positive attitude would not be accurate. However, I am going to give myself some slack if I don't feel like belting into a rendition of "Walking on Sunshine" at any given moment. I'm absolutely content with being in the company of the 60 percent of the population who are optimistic some or most of the time. I'm going to shoot for most of the time, because, in my opinion, that's pretty good company to keep.

1 comment: