April 1, 2010

relativity

Every once in a while, I experience a moment, or a series of moments, that changes me. Sometimes, it's significant. More often than not, it's slight, but equally as important. Frequently, the experience is tied to an interaction with another person.

Within the past week, I have had two such incidents -- one involving my sister and her children and the other, a stranger.

The first occurred last week/weekend while my sister was visiting me in Denver. And, while it wasn't so much an identifiable moment, it was instead a culmination of our time spent together. Specifically, it was the first instance where I remember really relating to my sister and her life, which is ironic because at this point, they have never been further from the same. As a nurse, living in our hometown and the single mom of three children, to say our lives are different would be a vast understatement. However, spending time with her and my nieces and nephew last week, I began to see the similarities between us and the bond we share, as sisters and as friends. It was nice. And it changed me.


The second occasion was a conversation I had yesterday with the creator of the I heart strangers project, Joshua Langlais. I met with Joshua as part of the interview process for the Colorado Jaycees Outstanding Young Coloradoan program, of which I am nominating him. Having followed I heart strangers intermittently for the past few months, I was both intrigued and fascinated by the concept, which involves Joshua approaching a stranger and gathering their story and photo and then posting both on the project's Web site. Although interesting in and of itself, the fact that Joshua has not missed a day since September 2008 really exemplifies the project's existence and the dedication of its creator. Beyond the project, I found Joshua delightful. It was refreshing to talk to someone with such a big heart and amazing outlook and understanding of life. At 27 years-old, Joshua possess more insight than most individuals I have encountered. Although our conversation was just an hour, Joshua inspired me. And it changed me.

So, to mimic I heart strangers, thank you Joshua, and Brianna, for being you.

No comments:

Post a Comment