August 20, 2010

goodbyes

Perhaps it's because I have a burning desire (no pun intended) to to bring out my pumpkin- and apple-scented candles from their hibernation. Or, maybe green leaves are becoming boring and my eyes are seeking a bit of color in the foliage. Possibly, my subconscious is seeking a change. Whatever the reason, I'm ready to say goodbye and welcome fall. Summer, in all its glory, has begun to annoy me with its incessant high temperatures and my personal need to be going, going, going while the weather is desirable.

Truth be told, I'm pining for colder days, when I won't feel guilty for not taking advantage of the warm weather, and I can relax and just be for a while. I realize decreased temps shouldn't dictate when I can take a day to hole up in my apartment, dismissing all that is happening outside my doors. However, my personal logic would disagree.

It will be a few months until I can fully enjoy the new season, as my September calendar is chock full of activities. I'm reserving October, however, for plenty of R&R&R (rest, relaxation and reflection). It will be quite appropriate as it will be the first full month of my 30s (which I still haven't come to terms with yet) and many of our bigger Jaycees projects will be complete at that time. Needless to say, I am looking forward to October.

In the meantime, I continue to live my insanely busy life. This week involved an afternoon in Boulder with a dear friend; a painting class, through which I discovered a new-found love for acrylics; and enjoyed the musical talents of Weezer, Phoenix and Jack Johnson, among others, at the Miler High Music Festival.

The week also involved a goodbye celebration for a coworker, who I am extremely sad to see leave. She has been an inspiration, a mentor and a cherished friend, and I will miss her guidance and spirited nature. As I prepare to say my goodbyes to Karli, I am again reminded of how great of an impact others make on our lives and that we seldom realize this until they are gone. This quote, which I stole from Karli's goodbye e-mail, says it best: "We are all part of everyone we meet."

So, today, I challenge you to make time to tell a friend, family member or another know how much you appreciate them. Don't wait for the day they are packing up their reference books and Ristras, do it today, tomorrow and often.

No comments:

Post a Comment