May 27, 2010

summertime in the Mile High

I realize that summer doesn't officially begin until late June. However, I am one of many Americans who consider Memorial Day weekend the induction of summer season.

I bring this up because I was recently discussing summer plans with a softball teammate and he introduced an interesting concept that sparked a thought or two for me regarding summer in Denver. We were talking about a bachelor party that he had been invited to in Chicago, to which I replied that I love Chicago and he was lucky to be going there. He countered with although Chicago is a great city, he has a really difficult time leaving Denver in the summer months.

Now, as an all-season enthusiast, my immediate reaction was to argue that Denver and the surrounding area is an enjoyable destination, year-round (Hello? Some of the best skiing in the country). However, I held my tongue and let his words permeate my psyche for a moment.And, after letting the idea brew, I realized I completely agreed. Summertime in Denver, and Colorado, is hard to beat.

As I continued to process the idea, I developed the following list as to why I <3 summertime in Denver:
  • outdoor concerts -- Mile High Music Festival, UMS, Westword Music Showcase
  •  Red Rocks -- technically, an outdoor concert venue, but deserves a separate mention because it's so amazing. Also, due to its secondary application as a host for Film on the Rocks, which, on second thought, probably deserves its own mention.
  • Film on the Rocks
  • Rocky Mountains -- hiking, camping
  • climate -- arguably, one of the best in the U.S.during the summer months
  • outdoor patios -- rooftops and non
  • City Park Jazz
  • Rockies  -- although games extend well beyond the summer months, it's much more enjoyable to partake in the seventh-inning stretch activities if donning a down parka is not involved in the mix.
  • tube tops, sundresses, sandals
  • promenading along the 16th Street Mall (and Boulder's Pearl Street)
  • July 4
  • Wash Park picnics (and volleyball)
  • botanic garden
  • cruiser rides -- with a different theme each week
  • farmers' markets
  • grilling
  • Coors Field fireworks
  • electricity camp at Steamboat -- another non-Denver addition, but still within Colorado
  • white water rafting -- again, a Colorado destination
  • lounging by the pool
  • summer softball league -- for the same reasons as the Rockies game, the summer league kicks fall and spring leagues' asses
    So, I suppose the moral of the story is that Denverites should appreciate and take advantage of all the wonderfulness that is the Mile High City in the summertime. I'm sure many activities that merit mention are absent from my list, but, these are the off-the-top-of-my-head reasons I love Denver. Also, this paints a clear picture  as to why I don't have a free weekend until mid September.

    Have an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend. And, amongst your picnics, camping and other activities, remember to take a moment to thank a veteran.

    Right and below, photos from the summer adventures of 2009 --  July 4 at Coors Field and singles night at the Denver Zoo.



    1 comment:

    1. "They" say, "People move to Colorado for the winters and stay because of the summers!!"

      ReplyDelete