May 22, 2010

new mexico, re-experienced

Tri-State G&T, the company for which I work, is a wholesale electric supplier to 44 cooperatives in four states -- Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and Wyoming. One component of my job requires traveling to various co-op lands in order to highlight their goings-on for Network, a quarterly magazine featuring the stories of said cooperatives. 

Having traveled to a handful of those cooperatives in my near three-year tenure with TSGT, it is no secret at the office that my preference lies in visiting our non-New-Mexico members. As a graduate of the UWYO, I hold a special place in my heart for the state of Wyoming. And, Colorado just continues to amaze me with each new adventure. Honestly, Nebraska is not exactly on my top-ten-travel-destinations list, but, it had ranked above New Mexico -- had being the operative word.

Today, as I pen this blog from the comfort of (my own) bed, I would venture to say that not only has the Land of Enchantment been rescued from do-not-visit status, it is now on the same plane, and in some cases has surpassed, my preferred travel destinations.

Perhaps the proselytization can be attributed to the fact that I had spent seven out of the 10 days leading up to the trip at conferences, within the confines of hotels Or, maybe I just hadn't given the state a fair change. Whatever the case, the land and people of New Mexico provided a much-needed rejuvenation of my spirit. I found myself in complete awe a number of times and I am fairly positive my "tour guides" became annoyed at my constant request to pull over so I could capture yet another image on my camera. Beyond the aesthetics, the quaint town of Truth or Consequences (or, TorC, as the locals refer to it) and its people added to the experience by providing a level of generosity and hospitality that will be hard to meet. From the staff at the Sierra Grande Lodge to those at Sierra Electric Cooperative and Wilson Binkley, each of whom contributed to my re-experiencing the great state of New Mexico.

One year ago tomorrow, I boarded a plane to Costa Rica for a trip that equated to a myriad of memories and unforgettable experiences. At the time, Costa Rica was just what I needed to restore balance in my life and, although not quite the grandiose adventure that was Costa Rica, this recent trip to New Mexico provided many of the same self-discovery and renewal attributes I experienced last year. And, for that, I am truly grateful.

In tribute to my renewed spirit and new-found love for New Mexico, I have posted a few photos below, taken via my trusty point-and-shoot. Additional photos may be found on my Flickr site, and I will be adding more next week when I am able to download those from my "fancy camera." Below, top to bottom: a yet-to-be-identified cactus; Elephant Butte Lake; the quintessential adobe house; and the Sierra Grande Lodge. 

hasta la próxima vez




















































No comments:

Post a Comment