May 13, 2010

home, sweet home

I enjoy traveling, which is fortunate because I am able to do so often for work and for pleasure (or, on some occasions, both within the same trip). Flying or driving, whichever the case may be, to a location that is not home provides a chance for adventures, seeing new sights, gaining experiences and meeting new people.

However, for as much as I like to travel, returning home takes the cake. Reentering our worlds after a journey provides a new appreciation to the attributes of our home, wherever that may be at the time. In my case, it's the first glance of the towering peaks that are the Rocky Mountains, the familiarity of the Denver skyline and, I will admit, a bit of the Western charm the city posses, that reintroduce a sense of belonging which had been absent during my travels. Driving and car singing also top the list.

When I arrive at my apartment after traveling, it's that first smell after I cross the threshold and the returning to a place that is exactly as I left it -- static in its existence -- that I appreciate. Although, I wouldn't have minded if someone would have felt compelled to fold and hang laundry while I was away.

Perhaps it's a sign that I'm happy in Denver, that it's a good fit. Or, maybe it's because I miss having access to my whole wardrobe. No matter the reason, I'm thankful for the opportunity to sleep in my own bed tonight, even if it is only for one night.

Above, hanging out at Union Station in Kansas City this week with my friend, Becky. Below, watching the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Field. 



1 comment:

  1. Nice photo in Union Station. Must have been done by a real pro!

    ReplyDelete