July 22, 2009

time

I have inadvertently stopped wearing a watch. For a "normal" person (read non-compulsive, non-obsessive), this may seem like a frivolous statement (and observation). However, for an organizer such as myself (see additional adjective in prior sentence), not wearing a watch is actually quite a big deal.

It all began a few weeks ago when I replaced my watch with a bracelet. Then, last week at camp, I decided to forgo my watch in lieu of obtaining tan lines. Which brings me to last night. While at the Rockies game (they lost, which now brings the tally of games I have attended this year to 4 losses and 1 win. perhaps I should stay away from Coors Field?), I realized that not only was I not wearing a watch, but that I a) had no idea where my watch is even located and b) didn't really miss it.

Now, before I get into what a great benefit it's been not wearing a watch, I should first disclose the basis of my constant watch-wearing. I blame it on the Catholic Church, or more specifically St. Paul's Catholic Church in Belle Fourche, S.D. As a child, it was customary (actually, mandatory according to church doctrine) to attend mass weekly. Coming from a family where all the clocks were set five minutes ahead, you would assume that mine was always on time for Sunday mass. Wrong. And it wasn't that we were habitually tardy, it just happens to be that my memories of our lateness are perpetually stuck in my memory. Which is where my contemporary obsessiveness for being on-time (actually, usually at least ten minutes early) stems. All I can recall from those mornings was everyone (or so it seemed at the time) looking up annoyingly from their prayer to catch whomever it was that was disrupting mass. And on the days it was my family, I could not have been more embarrassed.

And so, although it may not been that big a deal to most, those memories have melded me into the time-keeping maniac I am today. Or should I say was? I have to admit, the past few weeks have really been a nice break. And honestly, between the clocks that consistently surround me on a daily basis (car, cellphone, etc.), it's not as if I have lost track of time, but it does feel great not to be tied down by a watch.

Although I wouldn't' go so far as to say I have now adopted a completely nonchalant attitude, I'm definitely easing up a bit on myself and others, which has proved beneficial in a number of aspects. I'm also not discarding my watch permanently, it's comforting to know I can do without it, which is a theory I'm trying to extend into other areas of my life. Perhaps I'll let my watch (and my obsessive planning) be lost for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment