June 24, 2010

growth

During my formative years, I was one of those unique individuals who actually enjoyed school. From the social aspects, to the classes, to the Trapper Keepers (side note: with the current revitalization of all that is the 80s, why has the Trapper Keeper not made an emergence? someone should make that happen.) and other supplies, school was somewhere I felt comfortable -- a place where I thrived. And, honestly, not much has changed from those days, which would explain my relentless pursuance of degrees and certifications and my constant reading of non-fiction. And, although I savor/savored the ancillary aspects of school and classes, ultimately it comes down to the fact that I just really enjoy learning.

However, the avenues of courses in which I routinely participate tend to involve some means to an end, whether it be the aforementioned certificates and degrees or the achieving of an objective goal (this may be apparent, but I also flourish on setting and meeting goals). While my intention is not to discount these, as I have learned a great deal and achieved much through the journey of the courses, I recently recognized that the classes and courses and books were not providing me with something I have been seeking -- inner spiritual growth.

As a resolution to my current situation, I enrolled in an e-course of a different sort -- one which does not involve a grade or a certificate of completion, but instead comes with a purpose of expanding creativity and the examination of self. The course does entail assignments, but this "omwork" has nothing to do with reading a textbook or completing a multiple-choice quiz, but instead requires such tasks as journal writing, creating a morning routine (beyond the snooze button, coffee and rushing out the door) and practicing yoga -- all done on a daily basis.

The course, which spans a six-week period, began today as I listened to the first podcast at lunch, diligently taking notes (not required). I felt immediately inspired as the instructor outlined the topics for the first week -- mindfulness, meditation, yogic breathing and the eight limbs of yoga -- and even more so when I took the time to begin my first omwork assignment. I anticipate this journey to be acutely personal, so therefore will spare you the intimate details on this blog as it progresses -- I will leave that to my journal. And, while it is impractical for me to take the next six weeks to focus solely on this class and me, I am going to put forth a considerable amount of effort and time to explore the tranquilista lifestyle. Cursory updates forthcoming.

Speaking of growth, my first delivery from door-to-door organics arrived today. Below is just a sampling of its contents. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment