September 10, 2010

blogging, or lack thereof


The great thing about being a writer is that blogging is a relatively simple task. First of all, blogging involves an activity I complete nearly on a daily basis, so to say I'm used to it would be an understatement. Second, there's not a lot of pressure to produce a well-written piece -- no agents or editors to answer to -- when you're the one posting it. A blog is pretty much a free-for-all when it comes to content, grammar and style.

So, you'd think as a writer I could be a bit more consistent with my postings; maybe even keep my promise to write once a week. But, that's the ironic thing about being a full-time writer who also does a lot of writing for extracurricular activities -- by the time I get around to wanting or being able to produce a blog post, the last thing I want to do is write. When I actually get into it, I love writing. It's just daunting task of doing it that usually discourages me to the point I skip it for the week, promising I'll post extra the following week (which, if you're a regular follower, doesn't happen all that often.).

The other discouraging component of producing a blog (in my opinion) is the content creation. I want to write something people will read, even if it is just a few friends and family members. And, not only do I want them to read it, ideally, I would like them to get something out of it. Easier said than done.

I realize this pressure is self-inflicted and have even been told my some of my devoted readers that no matter what I write, they enjoy it. However, I find this hard to believe as I've posted some pretty drab material here. None the less, it's Friday afternoon, a time when my brain is on the verge of shutting off and entering weekend mode, and I'm attempting a blog post. I'm not making any promises as far as the creativity or stimulation though.

And, so it begins. Or rather, we're in the middle already, so I guess I should say it continues. Regardless, I spent last weekend and part of the prior week visiting family and friends in SoDak. It was honestly one of the best times I've spent there in a very long time. I chose last weekend because it was a time when I had nothing to return for (with the exception of my mom's birthday), so could actually visit and enjoy myself without having to worry about making it to this or that.

Turns out, my plan worked out perfectly. I was able to relax, have fun with my nieces and nephew and visit with my grandparents and parents. It was nice. Maybe I'll start skipping Christmas trips and just go back in the summer . . .

The week following vacation is typically a tough one, but it helps when it only last four days and one of them is spent high-rolling it in a suite at the Rockies game. Yes, yesterday my department had a team building day, during which we ate, drank and cheered our home team to a well-deserved victory. I may complain periodically about my job, but, in all honesty, I am pretty lucky. I truly like what I do (even when it doesn't involve a cushy suite) and who I work with and realize that isn't something that can be said by all.

This weekend will be spent catching up with friends I've neglected over the past few months, due in small part to my traveling, but also because I've turned out opportunities to see them in lieu of a bit of me time. Overall, I'm just going to spend time enjoying the last few weeks of life in my 20s. That's right -- 14.5 days and counting. *gulp*

No comments:

Post a Comment