August 10, 2009

reliving my youth

Well, I did it. I signed up for an adult, co-ed softball league. And, to tell the truth, I'm pretty freaked out.

By my calculations, it's been about 10 years since I've been involved on an actual softball team. Granted, I played pretty consistently from my t-ball years to the age of 18 (with the exception of that year immediately following t-ball when I refused to play because I didn't want to relive the t-ball scenario of being the solo female on the team), but I'm going to assume that 10 years of non-playing, combined with the whole 10 years of aging factor is not going to paint a pretty picture when I actually pick up a bat.

Also, I have to purchase a new glove (and perhaps a bat? and batting gloves? or am I taking it too seriously?), which stirs up some resentment related to the individual who lost my cherished, very broken-in Wilson mitt, but that's a whole other story. So, this evening I'm going glove shopping and then, if time permits, I plan to hit the batting cages at some point before the season begins. I just hope I don't embarrass myself too much.

But, I've made the commitment and I'm going through with it. Besides, I hear there's beer in adult-league softball :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment